Saturday, March 29, 2014

Day 20: Difference Makers

It looks like I have ten more of these to go, but I'm probably counting wrong, because I could have sworn that there were fewer than that. Whatever, I'm going to rock these out over the next few days, and then this blog is going to new places that  I haven't quite figured out yet.

So, day 20 was writing about people who have made a difference in our lives.

Without a doubt, my answer for that in 2013/2014 is the Indy Feminists group. Now, I have a resource to use these convictions I've had for about a decade now and actually effect change in other ways besides just talking to my friends about dreams of a world that is better for everyone through changing paradigms for greater equality of women and men. And, better than that, we've gone from strangers on Twitter talking about common ideas and dreams to a group of real, trusted friends. We've endured a 14-hour-each-way trip to Oklahoma and back together. We spend a LOT of time together, online and offline.

Basically, I'd trust any of these people with my life. We're really just hitting the tip of the iceberg in terms of activist work. But I've gained a core group of trusted friends in Indianapolis who, if I have an emotional or a material need, they'll be an ear and a resource for ideas and solutions. I can ask the people of this group questions I couldn't ask a lot of other people. I'm finally finding my voice as an activist and not just wanting the world to be better, but not knowing how I can help.

As the group grows, I hope the core advisory group stays as tight as we are now. But no matter what, they're always going to have a place in my heart, and I'm grateful for the difference they continue to make in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment