Saturday, March 29, 2014

Day 23: Switch It Up

I'm a big believer in nonlinear progression, so I'm all over the place with these Think Kit prompts.

Here is the prompt from Day 23: Look at your surroundings as if you're seeing them for the first time – take a walk in your 'hood, explore your basement, or visit a favorite spot. What do you notice?

Well... frankly, a lot of people probably wouldn't find much to love about my neighborhood. 38th Street has a reputation, and not a good one. The poverty level is high. Few people can afford cars, and there aren't sidewalks in my area, either. So, that's bad. It's hard to take pride in your area and volunteer to improve it when you're just barely getting by. Even so, with one or two notable exceptions, my neighbors are generally kind, agreeable, good-at-heart people. I was only actually friends with one, and she has since moved to Arizona, so that sucks. But I don't dislike my neighbors, and I really wish leadership within my city didn't ignore them in favor of areas which are already rich in commerce and resources. It's also probably a food desert.

One thing I have noticed daily, recently, is the amount of trash strewn in the field just before the turn-off to my apartment complex. Now that the snow is not covering it, it's really an eyesore. I've thought frequently about seeing what community resources there even are here, and how I can tap in and be of some help. I don't want to be a gentrifier putting my hands in where they are not wanted, but it's clear that some quality-of-life boosts are needed, so one thing I'd like to do to show some pride in the area is to see if we can organize a trash pick-up project, to take one or two Saturdays where we do this one small thing to show some love to the neighborhood.

I think the purpose of this project was to find something you like about your surroundings. I can say to that.... I like the potential it has. Even if few people see that potential.

Being not "from" Indianapolis, I hardly know where to start, so any advice is welcome in the comments. Or you can tweet me @circlecitystyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment